Cristiano Ronaldo is back in Manchester and is expected to hold talks about his future with Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag on Tuesday.
The 37-year-old arrived at Carrington’s training ground on Tuesday morning with his agent Jorge Mendes ahead of talks over his future.
Former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was also seen arriving but is understood to be there for a regular board meeting with chief executive Richard Arnold.
Ronaldo returned to the UK on Monday after missing the club’s pre-season tour of Thailand and Australia due to family reasons, with the explanation accepted by the club.
Ten Hag admitted he was unclear about the situation ahead of the tour, but Ronaldo will now begin training with the club on Tuesday after training outside the squad for the past few weeks.
The club’s stance on Ronaldo’s future has not changed: United are willing to listen to offers for Ronaldo this summer. Sky Sports News understands, but the club’s public stance remains that it is not for sale.
Ten Hag said in Bangkok that Ronaldo, who has a year left on his United contract, has his plans for next season and hopes he will stay at the club.
“We are planning Cristiano Ronaldo for the season and that’s it. I really want to work with him. Cristiano is not for sale. He is in our plans and we want success together,” said the Dutchman.
“He is not with us and it is for personal reasons. I spoke to him before this matter came out. I had a conversation with him and I had a good talk. This is between Cristiano and me. What I can confirm is that we had a very good conversation together. I didn’t talk to him after (the news).”
New signings Christian Eriksen and Lisandro Martinez are also at the training complex to link up with their teammates for the first time.
Has Ronaldo run out of options?
Melissa Reddy, senior reporter for Sky Sports News:
“As we’ve seen on Instagram, Ronaldo has stayed fit, so there’s no concern from Manchester United about his fitness or fitness level – he’s one of the fittest players in world football.
“Ultimately, Ronaldo expressed his desire to leave Old Trafford, but he is running out of options, and it looks like he will actually have to stay. He may try to swing it towards the 25-per-cent pay cut cent of his contract. being waived by United, he may want to maneuver and articulate a new deal, we’ll have to wait and see. But it doesn’t look like Stamford Bridge is on his cards.
“Chelsea have distanced themselves from a deal for Ronaldo, as have Bayern Munich, Napoli and many other elite clubs that Jorge Mendes, who is Ronaldo’s agent, has tried to sell him to.
“This offer from Saudi Arabia is astronomical but ultimately it does not give Cristiano Ronaldo what he wants, which is this legacy. He wants to achieve Champions League records that he believes no one else can achieve in the future.
“He wants to sign at the absolute highest level. Now it looks like every time he will have to stay at Manchester United because there are no bites from the big clubs.
“Everyone already has their strikers, and Chelsea, which is the only club that looks like it could be cut by what Cristiano Ronaldo offers off the pitch because we were told that Mendes, while he was in front of these clubs, presented their numbers in terms of social media influence, the sponsorship they get, the commercial gain from selling their shirts and stuff like that, but even now they say it’s not in their plans. Their goal immediate is to strengthen the defense.
“So that leaves Ronaldo with really few options. We know he wants to compete at the highest level, so if he goes to Saudi Arabia, that goes against everything he’s said and everything we know about him and of his career.
“Manchester United have always been very calm and very comfortable. They have insisted that he is not for sale, and he will see out the last year of his contract. How they handle it now we will see, but Ronaldo remains fit. , so that they have no issues or fears about what condition he will report to in the preseason.”